Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Thrift Store Shopping: Buying Designer Labels on a Budget


One way that I incorporate more designer labels into my wardrobe is by shopping at thrift stores. Unless I am looking for something specific that I need right away, like an outfit for an event this weekend, thrift store shopping never lets me down. As long as you've located a few good stores that have a high rate of quality items and a clean, organized set-up, then you've got an AWESOME way to add more of the styles you desire to your closet!



My mom and her soon to be new Merino wool sweater!

Recently, my mom and I spent a day doing one of our favorite things together; we went THRIFTING! Thrift store shopping is a way for me and my mom, who both live on a budget, to spend the whole day shopping, come home with a bunch of awesome stuff, but not spend very much money. Guilt free shopping, baby! Ain't nothing better.

For our outing, we went to the Salvation Army Store in Rochester Hills, Mi. We live in the Metro Detroit area and this thrift store is always full of brand name clothing and accessories that are in great condition. Below are some of the items that we tried on. We don't always search for brand name/designer labels, typically we just grab whatever looks good. But most of what we picked out ended up being the labels we really loved.









As you can see, all of these items were brand name labels, the most expensive being a whopping $9.99. After loading down our cart we were off to the dressing room to try on our perspective new pieces!

*Word to the Thrift-Store-Wise* 
ALWAYS try on the clothes you pick out! Even if the item is your size or looks like it will fit, keep in mind that being gently used means it's been worn and washed - so it could be slightly stretched out or shrunk. If my mom and I go to a thrift store looking for clothes and they DON'T have a dressing room, then we don't bother shopping there! Even though these items are cheap, there's no point in buying something you won't wear later. 

Mom tries on an awesome cold weather skirt.
It's a keeper!

Second hand clothes are cheap BUT that doesn't mean that mom and I aren't still picky about what we purchase. I may only being paying a few dollars for each item but what matters most is that I love how they look and fit me. So here are a few rules I follow when buying thrift store clothes:

1) Love it immediately. If I put something on and don't like it right away, then I'm not going to like it later, either. Don't talk yourself into buying something you don't absolutely love. It's not worth it.

2) Check it over. While I'm in the dressing room, I check each piece of clothing for rips, tears, stains, missing buttons or anything that may be wrong with the item. Oftentimes thrift stores have a no return policy, so even if the item is damaged, you're stuck with it!

3) Know your prices. Most second hand stores are very reasonably priced but we've actually discovered a few stores that were asking for way too much money. Get familiar with how much the labels and items would cost brand new in the store. If a thrift store is asking you to pay almost retail for a used item, then walk out - because that is ridiculous!

Not everything mom and I picked out on this thrift store adventure was worthy of coming home with us, but here are the items I did end up buying that day. I got NINE tops for less than SIXTY dollars! All in great condition and half of them brands that I LOVE, like Banana Republic and Abercrombie. $60.00 at either of these brand name stores wouldn't get you very far (in fact, it might not even get you ONE item) but at the thrift store, my dollar stretches! 

Nine items in fabulous condition for about $60 bucks. 
I was a happy girl!

I LOVED this casual blazer and cute canvass jacket and plan to wear 
them with some skinny jeans and a pair of boots.

The green striped button-down on the right is originally from Abercrombie 
and the other two were brands that I would usually find at Kohl's.

These last three are my favorites, all of them originally from Banana Republic!
And just LOOK at how little they were priced for!






Thrift store shopping isn't just good for you, it can be good for the WORLD. To see how shopping second hand benefits both the economy and the environment, WATCH my video!



LEAVE ME A COMMENT!

I want to know YOUR thoughts on shopping second hand!

Do you LOVE or HATE thrift stores?
Which second hand shop is your favorite?
What are OTHER WAYS you stretch your clothing budget?

Post your thoughts, questions and general musings below. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

xoxo,
That Busy Girl
FOLLOW ME!


1 comment:

  1. well now you've got me convinced in using thrift stores for my blouses and dresses. Tom

    ReplyDelete