Monday, December 8, 2014

Handmade Holiday Burlap Wreath - REVAMP That Wreath You Made for Fall With a Few Easy Steps!


Each season I notice a few standout, popular DIY crafts that explode all over Pinterest and Instagram. This past fall I saw numerous posts and pins for handmade burlap wreaths. Now burlap things have never really been my style but each photo I posted of the burlap wreath was absolutely beautiful. So beautiful that I just had to make one myself! 

I was so happy with the way my wreath turned out and absolutely love looking at it every time I walk through the front door (which is where I chose to display it). In fact, I loved my wreath so much that when the seasons changed and Christmas music began to fill the air, I didn't want to take it down, even though I had decorated the wreath for fall. Lucky for me, I realized I could quickly and easily turn my Harvest wreath into a Christmas wreath - all it needed were a few simple adjustments!



Burlap wreath, how I love thee!
(This is what my "harvest" wreath looked like.)

The key to making one wreath that will go with any season is to use detachable swag. "Swag" are all the little embellishments that you use in a decoration. For my Harvest-themed wreath, I chose autumn colored silk flowers with clips attached to the back. At the time my reasoning for choosing clip-on swag was simply because I hate using my hot glue gun. #PainInMyButt I certainly wasn't thinking about upcoming Christmas décor when I made this back in October, or how choosing detachable swag would make seasonal transition a cinch, but somebody up there must be looking out for me.


Clip-ons! Not just for your ear lobes.


All I had to do to switch to a Christmas-themed wreath was un-clip the fall flowers and attach some wintery-looking swag. I had another, old faux-garland wreath in my stash of holiday décor that I don't much care for but this thing was covered in pine cones and fake red berries. So I simply clipped a few pieces off, arranged them onto my now bare-burlap-wreath and attached them with twine. Easy cheesy! 


Position your swag and wrap twine 
around to the back of the wreath.

Twist the twine around to secure it.

Repeat with each piece of swag you use.

Finished!

And that is how to quickly and easily change your handmade burlap Harvest wreath into a Christmas wreath!

For the FULL TUTORIAL on how to make a burlap wreath - for those of you starting at square one - check out my post from October. Here I walk you through the step-by-step process and even include a brief video!


LEAVE ME A COMMENT!

Have you made or attempted to make a handmade wreath in the past?

What material did you use? 

What went well for you - and what frustrated you?

And as always, SHARE this post with someone you know that would enjoy it!


xoxo,
That Busy Girl


FOLLOW ME!





No comments:

Post a Comment