Wednesday, October 8, 2014

How to Make a Burlap Wreath


The coveted burlap wreath! We've liked it on Facebook, we've followed it on Twitter, we certainly pinned the heck out of it on Pinterest and now That Busy Girl is bringing you her version. Hold on to your butts.

Quick VIDEO TUTORIAL at the bottom of this post!


I first saw a photo of this wreath on Pinterest, fell in love, decided I had to have it, called my mother, told her about, and she decided she also couldn't live without it. So, off to Jo Ann Fabrics we went, dragging my poor step-dad Alan along with us. He's was a pretty good sport about it and found ways to amuse himself as we perused the crafty aisles.

This one was my fave.
In between Alan's shenanigans, my mother and I picked up the various items we needed for the project. We had a moment of panic when we realized Jo Ann's was OUT of burlap, but lucky for us we live in a beautiful world where there's a Michael's just up the street. So the materials selected for our wreaths were purchased at both Jo An Fabrics and Michael's. I noticed that the prices at each store were about the same, however, Michael's was having a HALF OFF SALE on their burlap, so the inconvenience of Jo Ann's being out of stock actually worked out in our favor.

Materials Purchased: Metal wreath frame, burlap garland, light brown pipe cleaner, decorative "swag"


I selected the smaller 18 inch metal wreath frame on the left, and my mom went for the larger 24 inch frame. She has a big, beautiful front door, but mine is just your standard metal door. The 18 inch turned out to be the right choice for me.


We bought 7 rolls of the wide burlap garland, each roll being 10 yards in length. 4 rolls were needed for my mom's 24 inch wreath and 3 rolls were needed for my 18 inch wreath.


To be on the safe side, we bought 6 packages of pipe cleaner, which was a good call because it took EXACTLY 2 packages for my 18 inch wreath and just over 3 packages for my mom's 24 inch wreath. What we will do with the remaining pipe cleaners is undetermined. Tweet me your suggestions.


To finish it off, we also picked up an assortment of pretty, fall themed swag. I chose these silk flowers because they came with these super convenient little clips already attached to the back.


We chose light brown pipe cleaners because they would blend in seamlessly with the burlap. We cut the pipe cleaners into thirds, taking each long piece and making it into 3 smaller pieces. These ended up being the perfect length to fasten the burlap to the wreath frame.



The great thing about this project is that you never have to cut the burlap until you are finished, and that's only if you have extra hanging down. Unravel a bit of the burlap, fold the end over just a bit, shove a pipe cleaner through it and attach it anywhere on the wreath frame. This is your starting point! (Do this same thing when you get to the end of the strand of burlap, and repeat with each new roll you use.)


Fold over the burlap to make a "bow" as big as you'd like it, pinch it in the middle and secure it to the frame with the pipe cleaner.


I chose to alternate twisting the pipe cleaner to the top and bottom of the frame. The top, bottom, top, bottom pattern helped keep the burlap bunches spread across the entire width of the frame and made it look fluffy and full.


Mom and I just kept following this process, unraveling the burlap as we needed. We pushed the sections tight together as we went along. This allowed us to get more burlap "bows" on to the wreath, which in the end made the wreath look fuller and bigger.


A word of warning! Once you cut the pipe cleaners the ends will be sharp. These little buggers scratched my dining room table! So the hard lesson I learned was: if you're crafting on your beautiful antique table that you labored for days to restore, PUT DOWN A CLOTH! 


I spent two days working on this wreath; total time spent being about 3 hours. After the wreath was finished I clipped my flowers where I wanted, hung it on the front door and jumped up and down squealing and clapping my hands. My husband calls this outburst my "happy dance". I'm not sure what the neighbors will call it, as the dance took place on my front porch in broad daylight.

#squealworthy


Watch this QUICK video on attaching the 
burlap to the wreath frame! 






My mom and I had such a good time putting this wreath together! If you have ANY questions about this project, or would simply like to share your stories (and photos if you have them!) please contact me!

Email me!    thatbusygirllife@gmail.com


Follow me on Twitter!    @thatbusygirl






Blair Clark is a wife, teacher, dog-mother, mentor, wanna-be-chef, recipe collector, crafter, painter, novice photographer, thrifter, writer, marriage ministry leader, Sunday school teacher and blogger. In short, she's a busy girl! Blair lives and blogs from the suburbs of Detroit with her handsome hubby and perfect Chocolate lab.



Brought to you by That Busy Girl!


















No comments:

Post a Comment